You Are Reading

OUGD603 - Mid Year Evaluation

Now that the dissertation is out of the way i've used these two weeks we've had off before starting semester two of the year, to evaluate what briefs I've undertaken and what brief's I still plan to undertake and if any planned briefs from the start of the year need changing or replacing. During the first semester I have worked on a selection briefs however some of my planned briefs are no longer relevant to my practice.

Flexible Thinking - Morrison's
At the start of year I found a live brief that Samsung had set to design the user interface for an upcoming technology they've developed which enables displays to be flexible. I'd initially planned that i'd spend about 3 months on the briefs. Looking ahead to the time I have left I don't think I have time to accomplish what I want to with this brief. Furthermore there is no context or audience to brief it's all very vague. So although it's technological and UI based it's not extremely relevant to practice which is coming more focused. I've therefore replaced this brief with the YCN competition brief provided by Morrisons. This briefs asks students to thinking about the future of the supermarket and how Apps can be used in the supermarket I think this brief is a more stronger potential portfolio piece which pulls on the skills I've been developing thus far. I've also worked in a supermarket so I feel it's quite tailored to my existing knowledge base.

What Happened on this day - COP Publication
I'd chosen to under take this brief 'What happened on this day' which asks students to develop a publication around a event that has happened in history. I wanted to originally do this brief because I wanted a solid publication within my portfolio. However I think that my ideas for my COP publication can fulfil my need for a publication within my portfolio. As editorial design is not a strong focus of mine I feel more than one of this type of brief is not relevant to my practice, I've therefore replaced this brief with the Context of Practice publication.

Detour 2.0 - Hack 
Over the summer I'd had some commercial interest in my Detour app that I created at the end of Second year, I'd planned that in third year I'd re-open this brief and improve elements, re-do parts and add the brief to get it ready for potential invest. However over the course of the first semester this opportunity has fallen through I therefore feel that undertaking this brief now would be irrelevant to my practice. I've therefore chosen to replace the brief with a branding brief, Hack, the brief requires one to brand a fictional exhibition about the use of technology to change the world. I think this brief is more suited to my practice as it still maintains a relevance to technology and it's also a branding brief. As during my part time internship at Numiko I've realised that when I leave university branding will still be a big part of my practice so I need to develop this skill set and currently don't have many briefs that will allow me to do this so i've therefore opted to undertake this brief instead of Detour.

A Type Specimen for the future - Your Hotel
I'd also originally planned to partake in an ISTD brief from this years awards 'A type specimen for the future' as I have re-looked at this brief now this is completely divorced my creative practice. I don't have a strong interest in typography so therefore undertaking this brief makes no sense. I've therefore replaced this brief with 'Your Hotel' a brief which poses the questions who does one make a hotel room feel like home, using smart, home automated technology. Again this brief's focus on application design and use of technology is much more suited to my heavily growing interest in digital design.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2011 All rights reserved